Friday, December 31, 2010

Top 10 of 2010: The Classic

It's impossible to imagine a more dramatic 25 seconds. The Twin Spires are glowing purple in the darkness at Churchill Downs, with only the racing strip itself brightly illuminated. Blame, seeking to become the first Classic winner for historic Claiborne Farm on its centennial, surging to the lead near the head of the stretch. The indomitable Zenyatta, looking to end her career a perfect 20-0, coming with her trademark late rally after appearing hopelessly beaten. The crowd is willing the big mare on. Standing at the clubhouse turn, with the field coming directly at me and the grandstand rocking in the darkness, was an out-of-body experience. I wished those 25 seconds could have lasted forever. We all know the result. In the end, I could do nothing but applaud both horses. As Zenyatta walked by us on the way back to her barn, I found tears coming to my eyes - not because she had lost, but because I was so grateful for the ride she has taken horse racing on for the past three years. I could do nothing but applaud as I tried to get the words "Thank you" out over and over past the lump in my throat. When Blame walked by several minutes later, a subdued crowd barely took notice. A friend and I waited by the rail and called congratulations to this brave little stallion as well. Whichever one of these two champions is crowned Horse of the Year in a few weeks - it will be a shame the other has to lose.



Each day for the rest of 2010, Nicole Russo is counting down her top 10 most memorable races of 2010. What are yours? E-mail sports@saratogian.com or leave a comment below!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home